Our friends at Two Azorean Chicks whipped up this epic dish starring two of our favorite flavors: Chouriço and Queijo São Jorge!
1 pkg of elbow macaroni (or your favorite paste space will work!)
1 lb of ground chourico (We love Michael's!)
1/4 cup of butter
1/3 cup of flour
2 1/2 cups cream (or milk if you want to lighten it up)
4 oz. Topo Sao Jorge Cheese-shredded + 2 oz shredded top melt on top
8 oz. of Extra Sharp white cheddar-shredded
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoons of pimenta moida (Corisca is spicy! and delicious!)
- Cook macaroni to the directions on the box, once done reserve about 1/2 cup of water for sauce. Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees
- Melt the butter on med-low heat. Once melted add in the flour and whisk until smooth. Let it cook for a minute or two to break up the starches.
- Whisk in cream slowly. Continue to whisk until smooth. Add in salt and pimenta moida and whisk.
- Add in cheese and continue to stir until completely melted.
- Add in chourico and let it simmer on low for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni and combine completely. If your sauce is too thick, add in some of your reserved water until the sauce is the consistency you'd like.
- Once completely mixed, put into a 9x13 pan and top of Quiejo Sao Jorge and bake for about 10-15, just enough to get your cheese nice and melted.