Pastéis de Nata
Pastéis de Nata are shipped frozen and will arrive thawed. This is normal and does nor impact their quality: Simply refrigerate up to one week until ready to eat. Do not refreeze.
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Remove the Pastéis from the tray, keeping them in their metal tins and place directly in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 7-10 minutes, serve warm. Sprinkle with cinnamon and powdered sugar for an authentic experience!
Queijo Fresco (Fresh Cheese) Instructions
Ingredients for single 4" cheese form or three 2" cheese forms
- 4 cups of whole milk (do not use Ultra Pasteurized Milk)
- Half Teaspoon of powdered rennet
- Salt to taste
- Ingredients for single 4" cheese form or three 2" cheese forms
- 1 Gallon of whole milk (do not use Ultra Pi
- 2 Teaspoons of powdered rennet
- Salt to taste
- Heat milk on low until lukewarm (about 97°F ). Do not overheat the milk- Once milk is at desired temperature add powdered rennet and mix well. Once rennet is fully dissolved remove pan from heat and set aside for 30-45 minutes for milk to coagulate and begin to form curds. Place cheese form(s) on a plate with a lip (or wide bowl) to hold excess whey that will release over time. As the milk coagulates, use a slotted spoon to fill the forms with curds. As the curds set in their form(s) liquid whey will slowly pour out of the holes in them. Press down carefully on the curds to help press out the whey. This helps create a firmer cheese. Sprinkle salt to taste and refrigerate over night. The following day, place another plate over your form and carefully flip the cheese upside down over a sink to drain out all excess whey that has collected. Then place the plate back in the refrigerator for another 24 hours. Repeat this step if necessary, cheese should be ready to eat on the third day.
Broa and Pão de Milho Instructions
- Broa and Pão de Milho are shipped frozen and arrive ready to eat. They can be refrigerated 7-10 days or refrozen up to 6 months. For oven-fresh bread preheat oven to 350 F, bake for 10 minutes (12-15 minutes it frozen). Allow a few minutes to cool. Enjoy!
Queijo Serra Da Estrela (Sheep's Milk Cheese)
- Queijo Serra Da Estrela ships frozen and arrives thawed and ready to refrigerate. Before consuming we recommend letting the cheese "breathe" for a few hours by removing it from the plastic wrap and cheese cloth. If purchasing in the Summer months the cheese may arrive very soft, we recommend refrigerating for three hours before unwrapping.You can either slice the cheese when immediately removed from the refrigerator or carve a circle out of the top to make a lid and scoop out the cheese once it's soft (we recommend leaving it out for a few hours to get it very gooey). Put the lid back on until next time (if there is a next time)! The rind is safe to eat.
Chouriço à Bombeiro (Flame Grilled Chouriço)
- Using a knife make a few small slices in the sausage to cook more thoroughly
- Pour up to a half cup of high percentage alcohol in the bottom of the roaster (we recommend grain alcohol or any hard alcohol that's at least 80 proof).
- With the sausage in place on the roaster, light the alcohol on the bottom of the dish (please be aware that flames can sometimes go up to 12 inches high depending on how much alcohol you pour. Always take precaution when using anything involving open flames).
- Allow the alcohol to burn and cook the sausage until it is slightly blackened and crispy.
- Remove from the roaster once done and slice into pieces. Serve while hot.
Alcatra Dish must be soaked in water for 3 days before first use